WHAT is 3D Printing
- If you can imagine it, you can build it. As simple as that.
- Imagine it à Create a 3D model -> Print it.
WHY 3D Printing
- Manufactures virtually any physical object with almost no cost which can take significant investment otherwise.
- Can be used to create a prototype at a very low cost which can be tested for utility before investing significant amount for mass manufacturing setup.
- Ease of usage
How 3D Printing works
- User creates a 3D model using software like Autocad. Alternately there are many many models available online also
- Connect your laptop to 3D printer
- Slicing software (slic3r, cura etc) are then used to automatically divide 3D model in small cross-sections and elements. This is called G-Code
- User software such as Pronterface then issues a command to3D printer using this G-code
- 3D printer build your physical object using filament
WHO are typical users of 3D Printers
- Designers, hobbyists, industrialists, engineers, homemakers, jewelers, inventors,……
WHICH is typical input material for 3D Printer
- PLA filament
- ABS filament
- Like any upcoming (or for that matter existing) technology, 3D printing is constantly evolving.
- So while it is simple to use, learn to play with it. Its soooo much fun.
Happy 3D printing!!!